IRVINE, Calif. (November 3, 2015) –More than 300 community and business leaders came together to recognize six extraordinary local female leaders, all Girl Scout Alumnae, and raise over $243,000 for Girl Scouts of Orange County at its Sixth Annual Celebrate Leadership event on October 30 at the Island Hotel in Newport Beach. Each honoree was matched with a current Orange County Girl Scout, pairing the female leaders of tomorrow with current leaders. The Girl Scouts each created and presented a unique art canvas to her honoree, illustrating the woman’s leadership characteristics. The Girl Scouts, ranging in age from six to 16, also shared how these leaders inspire them to achieve greatness.
Guests sipped on “Orange Juliette” cocktails prepared with vodka, elderflower liqueur, orange juice and grenadine in a martini glass rimmed with raw sugar, named in honor of Girl Scouts’ founder Juliette Gordon Low, who was born on October 31. During the reception, guests browsed more than 100 silent auction items, including David Yurman and John Hardy jewelry, St. John’s and Tory Burch handbags, exotic car racing and Angels and Kings sports packages. Bidding was lively during the event’s live auction, which featured a personal golf tournament for 12 at Shady Canyon Golf Club, an Oregon Getaway and Wine Tasting in the Willamette Valley, a Catered Wine Tasting and Party for 20, and more. Guests went home with boxes of Thin Mints and a beautiful 2016 Girl Scouts Keepsake Calendar, featuring stunning photographs of the honorees with their partner Girl Scouts. An outstanding event committee, chaired by Donna Giordano, President of Ralphs Grocery Company, and Shannon Kennedy, Regional President for BNY Mellon Wealth Management, helped make the event a tremendous success.
2015 Celebrate Leadership Honorees
- Jacqueline Akerblom, West Region Managing Partner, Grant Thornton LLP
- Corinne Burton, President, Teacher Created Materials Publishing
- Tanya Domier, Chief Executive Officer, Advantage Sales & Marketing LLC
- Sue Graham-Sparks, Vice President Store Manager, Macy's South Coast Plaza
- Sumiko Katayama, Vice President, Treasury Relationship Manager, Commercial Banking Treasury Services, MUFG Union Bank, N.A.
- Deborah Proctor, President and Chief Executive Officer, St. Joseph Health
“We are proud to recognize these exceptional women,” said Nancy Nygren, CEO of Girl Scouts of Orange County. “They represent vastly different industries and followed different paths, but they share one important attribute: all six honorees were Girl Scouts who developed vital leadership skills that contributed to their success, and all are tremendous role models for our female leaders of tomorrow,” said Nancy Nygren, CEO of Girl Scouts of Orange County. “We are grateful to these outstanding women, our generous sponsors, and everyone who attended for supporting Girl Scouts, which gives girls a safe and positive place to develop the confidence and skills to believe they can do anything.”
Funds raised at the event will support Girl Scouts of Orange County’s leadership development programs for more than 21,000 Girl Scouts and to recruit, train, and support the more than 9,000 volunteers who guide and support them. The event would not have been possible without the support of generous sponsors, including:
· Gold Sponsors: BNY Mellon Wealth Management, Kaiser Permanente Orange County, Ralphs Grocery Company, St. Joseph Health, MUFG Union Bank, NA
· Silver Sponsors: Advantage Sales and Marketing; Lesley, Thomas, Schwarz and Postma; Teacher Created Materials Publishing; Gray, Kinoshita, Morrison, Potalivo
· Bronze Sponsors: Angels Baseball; Cedarlane Natural Foods; Coca-Cola Refreshments; Empire Foods/Farmer John; Gibson, Dunn, & Crutcher LLP; Mario & Donna Giordano; Grant Thornton LLP; Hansen’s Natural Soda; Joan & Eamon Kelly; KPMG; Joann Leatherby & Gregory Bates; Macy’s Inc.; Pepsi and Frito-Lay; Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP; PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP; Southern California Edison; John & Elizabeth Stahr; Viable Retail Solutions
· Leaders of Tomorrow Underwriter: Judy Posnikoff
· VIP Patrons: AECOM; Ashleigh Aitken & Michael Penn; Becky Bailey-Findley & Gary Findley; Beacon Pointe Advisors; Shannon Kennedy; Northern Trust; Vikki Shepp; Tom & Christine Scheuneman; MUFG Union Bank, NA; Jennifer Williams Peguero
· Event Patrons: Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP; Morse Planning Group; Nancy & Scott Nygren; Christine Shingleton, Community Strategic Advisors; Vavrinek, Trine, Day & Co., LLP
We are the Girl Scouts of Orange County. We’re 36,000 strong— over 21,000 girls and 15,000 adults who believe every girl can change the world. Girl Scouts began over 100 years ago with one woman, Juliette Gordon “Daisy” Low, who believed` in the power of every girl. Today, we continue her vision of building girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place by helping them discover their inner strength, passions, and talents. And with programs in every zip code in Orange County, there’s a chance for every girl to do something amazing. We’re the Girl Scouts. To volunteer, reconnect, donate, or join, visit www.GirlScoutsOC.org .