Girl Scouts is the world’s preeminent organization dedicated solely to girls. The mission of Girl Scouts is to build girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place. Girl Scouts of Orange County (GSOC) is a workplace dedicated to helping today’s girls become tomorrow’s leaders. As part of the GSOC team, employees are committed to maintaining a work environment that supports a constructive and collaborative culture.
GSOC is searching for a Staff Accountant to be responsible for monthly cash and account reconciliations, account analysis, product sales accounting, and payroll & benefits accounting. Works under the general supervision of the Accounting Manager.
- Monthly general ledger posting and reconciliation of gross wages, payroll taxes, and workers comp. Calculation and general ledger posting of medical and dental allocations.
- Monthly reconciliation and general ledger posting of sales & use tax. Monthly reconciliation of other Balance Sheet accounts including prepaid and liability accounts.
- Responsible for the Council’s monthly bank account reconciliations and income statement account reconciliations.
- Serve as Accounting liaison on Troop-related finance matters (such as dormant accounts, auditing troop activity, etc.
- Monthly general ledger posting and reconciliation of pledges receivable and gifts-in-kind activity; review of restricted and unrestricted donations.
- Collaboration with the Product Sales department to determine reconciliation timeframes between departments. Responsible for the product sales accounting and collection of product sales receivables, calculation and collection of troop receivables.
- Preparation of monthly journal entries related to investment accounting of Friends of the Girl Scouts Trust (dividends & interest, realized & unrealized gains & losses).
- Preliminary review of monthly income statements, analysis and accruals as deemed necessary.
- Distribution of department reports on monthly basis or as required.
- Assists with budgeting, forecasting and financial analysis and variance reporting
- Participates and provides support to the Accounting Manager during the audit. Performs other duties as assigned by the Accounting Manager and/or CFO.
- Bachelor’s Degree with concentration in Accounting.
- 3+ years of domestic accounting experience.
- Audit and public accounting experience preferred.
- Excellent computer skills in Excel, Word, Outlook. Maintains a thorough working knowledge of the accounting software used and utilizes it to its maximum potential.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent written, verbal and communication skills (for example, used to document work and prepare Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Ability to multi-task and process instructions or input data quickly and effectively
- Must be able to work efficiently and accurately under pressure and meet multiple deadlines
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and adapt to change (such as changing accounting software).
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Licensed/insured California driver; must be able to pass background screening including driving check.
- Willingness to accept the beliefs and principles of the Girl Scout Movement.
GSOC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
No outside recruiters please.