Nearly 400 guests came together to recognize six extraordinary local female leaders, all Girl Scout Alumnae, and raise over $271,000 for Girl Scouts of Orange County at its Fourth Annual Celebrate Leadership event on November 1 at the Island Hotel in Newport Beach. Each honoree was matched with a current Orange County Girl Scout through a shared leadership key, linking these leaders of tomorrow with leaders of today. Each guest went home with a beautiful 2014 Keepsake Calendar, featuring stunning photographs of the honorees with their partner Girl Scouts.
2013 Celebrate Leadership Honorees
- Ashleigh Aitken, of Anaheim Hills, Of Counsel at Aitken*Aitken *Cohn
- Shannon Eusey, of Newport Beach, Co-founder and President of Beacon Pointe Advisors
- Donna Giordano, of Huntington Beach, President of Ralphs Grocery Company
- Joan Patronite Kelly, of Huntington Beach, Managing Principal and co-founder of BonTerra Consulting
- Ingrid Otero-Smart, of Capistrano Beach, President of Casanova Pendrill
- Laila Pence, of Tustin, Owner and President of Pence Wealth Management
“We are proud to recognize these exceptional women,” said Nancy Nygren, CEO of Girl Scouts of Orange County. “They are each leaders in their respective fields and truly serve as role models for tomorrow’s female leaders.” An outstanding event committee, chaired by Nella Webster O’Grady of Palo Capital, helped make the event a tremendous success. The event would not have been possible without the support of generous sponsors, including:
- Silver Sponsors: Applied Medical, Kaiser Permanente Orange County, Wells Fargo
- Bronze Sponsors: John & Dana Myerson Agamalian and Lee Ann Canaday, Canaday Group, RE/MAX Fine Homes; Bette & Wylie Aitken; The Argyros School of Business and Economics at Chapman University; Becky Bailey-Findley and Gary Findley; Beacon Pointe Advisors; Cedarlane Natural Foods; Coca-Cola Refreshments; DPI Specialty Foods; Ingram Micro; The Inouye Family Trust; Joan and Eamon Kelly/BonTerra Consulting; Irene Kinoshita/Ascolta and Betty Mower Potalivo/Northern Trust; KPMG LLP; Lesley, Thomas, Schwarz & Postma, Inc.; Andy and Lindsey Marrone; Pence Wealth Management; PepsiCo; Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP; Ralphs; Southern Wine & Spirits; Union Bank; Young’s Market
- Leaders of Tomorrow Underwriter: Jane Buchan
- Photography Underwriter: Linda Lyons-Justus and Allan Justus, Lyons and Justus Company
- Valet Parking Underwriter: Donna Karan New York
- Wine & Spirits Underwriter: Wine Warehouse & Blue Ice Vodka
Funds raised will support Girl Scouts of Orange County’s high quality leadership development programs for more than 22,000 Girl Scouts and to recruit, train, and support the more than 14,000 adult members and volunteers who guide and support them. In addition, funds will be used to develop new Girl Scout programs focusing on career exploration and changing the world, while emphasizing the importance of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) skills.
Girl Scouts is the nation’s preeminent leadership development program and the leading authority on girls' healthy development. According to a recent study conducted by the Girl Scout Research Institute in conjunction with an independent research firm, women who were Girl Scouts as children display significantly more positive life outcomes than non-Girl Scout alumnae, with higher perceptions of self, higher rates of volunteerism and civic engagement, higher rates of college education and higher household incomes than non-alumnae.