How to Use your Cookie Dough
Girls are getting their Cookie Dough cards and many want to know what to do with it. Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about Cookie Dough:
What is Cookie Dough? Cooke Dough is a girl recognition item earned for selling Girl Scout cookies. It is good for a year, expiring on April 30 and can be used only with the Girl Scouts of Orange County.
How can Cookie Dough be used? Cookie Dough may be used to pay for:
- Items purchased in the Council Shop in Irvine
- Girl Scout resident or day camp (Council, Association or Service Unit sponsored)
- GSOC, Association, or Service Unit events
- Approved Troop Travel (see Troop Travel packet for specific details)
- Girl Scout destinations (see details at: http://www.girlscouts.org/forgirls/travel/destinations/)
- Gold Award expenses
- Girl Scout Lifetime Membership submitted to Council office by September 1. (Girl Scout Ambassadors who are graduating high school only.)
How Do Girls Redeem Cookie Dough/OC Bucks?
- At the Council Shop – girls submit their card at time of purchase.
- For fax, email or mail-in Shop purchases – girls submit their card serial number in the credit card section of the order form. Cookie Dough/OC Bucks cannot be used online.
- For Council Resident Camp, Day Camp or Council Events – girls submit their card serial number in the credit card section of the registration/payment form or if registration was paid in full online, girls submit to Council a completed Cookie Dough/OC Bucks Reimbursement form with a copy of their registration confirmation. Cookie Dough/OC Bucks cannot be used online.
- For Association or Service Unit Events (local community) – girls submit their card serial number with their registration & signed permission slip to the Event Coordinator or Troop Leader as noted on the event flyer.
- For Approved Troop Travel – girls submit their card serial number to their Troop Leader.
- For Girl Scout destinations – girls submit their card serial number to Council with a completed Cookie Dough/OC Bucks Reimbursement form and a copy of their destination registration confirmation.
- For Gold Award expenses– girls submit their card serial number to their Troop Leader with receipts and explanations of what each purchase was for and how it related to their Gold Award.
- For Girl Scout Lifetime Membership – Girl Scouts graduating high school submit their card serial number with their signed membership registration form and a check for the balance of the lifetime membership payment to the Council office by September 1.
Can a Troop Use a Girl’s Cookie Dough/OC Bucks? Cookie Dough/OC Bucks belong to individual girls, not to a Troop or Group, so each girl makes individual choices on how to use it. Troop/Groups already benefit from the proceeds for product sales. If a Troop/Group has asked girls to contribute individual funds towards approved Troop Travel (as defined in the Troop Travel packet) girls may pay with their Cookie Dough/OC Bucks rather than check or cash.
What qualifies as Approved Troop Travel? Troop Travel of 150 miles or more (300+ miles round trip) qualifies as a usage for Cookie Dough/OC Bucks providing the trip has been approved by the Service Unit Manager (as specified in the Troop Travel packet). Girls may submit Cookie Dough/OC Bucks as payment for qualified Troop Travel to their Troop Leader.
How do Troops get their Travel Approved? Troops contemplating travel of 150 miles or more (300+ miles round trip) must request permission to do so on the Troop Travel Form available in the Troop Travel Packet on the Volunteer Network. For trips 150-300 miles (600 miles round trip), Leaders must submit the form to their Service Unit Manager for approval at least 6 weeks in advance. For trips over 300 miles (600 miles round trip) within the state of California, Leaders must submit the form to their Service Unit Manager 6 months in advance. For trips outside California, but within the continental US, submit the form 1 year in advance and for trips outside the continental US, submit the form 2 years in advance.
How does an Association, Service Unit or Troop Treasurer get reimbursed for Cookie Dough/OC Bucks received from girls? Associations, Service Units and Troop Treasurers are reimbursed for Cookie Dough/OC Bucks received from girls by completing the reimbursement form. Please include a copy of the event flyer or approved Troop Travel form with reimbursement form and attach girl’s Cookie Dough/OC Bucks serial number. Cookie Dough, OC Bucks and Product Sale certificates must be redeemed prior to their expiration date (regardless of the date of event or travel).
More information about Cookie Dough & OC Bucks available here.